Nigeria will finally compete in the 2014 African Nations Championship qualifiers after reversing their decision to opt out of the tournament for locally-based players.
Nigeria pulled out of the competition last month as a result of financial difficulties, leaving several home-based players who had seen the competition as an opportunity to warm the way to the full national team disappointed.
But the NFF Deputy Director, Media, Mr. Ademola Olajire told Daily Trust by phone that the federation is still looking for funds, and if the funds are available, the country would reverse her earlier decision to opt out of the biennial soccer championship.
The Afcon’s winners will now play Ivory Coast in a two-legged qualifier in Calabar in June for a place in next year’s finals in South Africa.
“The team will play in the CHAN qualifiers,” NFF spokesman Ademola Olajire told BBC Sport on Wednesday.
Nigeria, who are the reigning African champions, have failed to qualify for the tournament on two previous occasions.