Kenya Gor Mahia dent Sofapaka’s survival hopes to give Shabana lifeline

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Premier League champions Gor Mahia dented Sofapaka’s survival hopes with a slim 1-0 victory at Machakos Stadium on Sunday.

Batoto ba Mungu went into the fixture knowing they had to win to keep pace with fellow relegation fighters Shabana, who had beaten AFC Leopards 4-3 on Saturday, to move above them on the 18-team table.

However, after a cagey first half that lacked goals, Batoto ba Mungu suffered a huge blow when their midfielder Evan Maliachi was red-carded in the 45th minute handing K’Ogalo the numerical advantage at the start of the second half.

In the 50th minute, Sylvester Owino turned into the hero for Gor Mahia scoring the all-important goal following a swift counter-attacking move and breaking the hearts of Sofapaka fans, who had turned out to cheer their team.

Though Sofapaka put on a spirited fight to get something from the game, K’Ogalo stayed firm at the back to see off the duel and bag their 20th victory of the season.

With two matches to go, Sofapaka now found themselves in 16th position with 32 points, the same number as Shabana, who are in 15th but have a better goal aggregate.

Muhoroni Youth, who suffered a shock 1-0 defeat at home against FC Talanta, remained 17th with 28 points while Nzoia Sugar, who have already been relegated to the lower division but beat Ulinzi Stars 3-1 away, are 18th with 22 points.

Sofapaka’s next match will see them take on Nairobi City Stars tomorrow (Wednesday) before ending their season with a game against Nzoia Sugar on Sunday.

Meanwhile,Tore Bobe will host Bidco United at Homabay Stadium on Wednesday before confronting Murang’a Seal in their final fixture of the campaign on Sunday.

In another fixture on Sunday, Kenya Police battled to a 2-2 draw with Murang’a Seal to stay third on the table with 55 points. The law enforcers took the lead with only a minute played courtesy of Tito Okello but David Ochieng levelled matters for Murang’a for a 1-1 result at the half-time break.

Dennis Munyovi then put Murang’a ahead for the first time in the game in the 51st minute but Tyson Otiento made sure Police got something from the game with a beautifully take solo goal in the 67th minute.

However, Police were forced to play the last eight minutes 10-men less after Yusuf Mainge was red-carded. The draw left Murang’a 12th with 38 points from nine wins, 11 draws, and 12 defeats.

Dennis Mabuka

Dennis Mabuka is a seasoned Kenyan journalist with 18 years of experience covering sports events. He is currently a sport content creator with

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *