- Algeria coach Vahid Halilhodzic was in charge of Cote d’Ivoire between 2008 and 2010, but prior to that he had managed French clubs Rennes, Lille and Paris Saint Germain.
- Algeria’s captain and defensive midfielder Medhi Lacen (pictured right) played in all three of Algeria’s 2010 World Cup group stage matches.
- Under coach Halilhodzic’s command, Algeria has won eight matches and lost only one heading into the Africa Cup of Nations. It was 19th in Fifa’s world rankings in December, the best ever for the nation. It’s currently ranked 22nd.
- Togo are currently ranked 77 on the Fifa table after losing six points, but are still ahead of Angola and Senegal.
- Emmanuel Adebayor remains Togo’s all-time top scorer with 26 goals.
- Togo had their worst defeat in 1979, losing 7-0 to Morocco, while they registered their greatest victory against Swaziland 6-0 in 2008.
- Togo Coach Didier Six played for the French national team for nine years – from 1976 to 1984, earning 52 caps for his country and scoring 13 goals as a winger.