The greatest footballer of all time, Pele will remain hospitalized in a Sao Paulo hospital for a urinary tract infection. The facility said Monday that the Brazilian great footballer was already receiving chemotherapy there for a colon tumor.
Admitted to the Albert Einstein hospital on February 13 in Sao Paulo to continue his treatment for a colon tumor detected in September, the 81-year-old ex-player known as “O Rei” (The King) has remained hospitalized since then.
“As I have been doing monthly, I am going to the hospital to continue my treatment.” Pele said on his social media platforms on February 13.
One week later, the hospital declared to have detected a urinary tract infection during routine exams. The new diagnosis would extend Pele’s stay.
“Clinical conditions are stable. And hospital discharge should occur in the next few days.” The hospital said in a statement Monday.
Pele underwent surgery for the tumor on September 4, spending a month in the hospital before being discharged to continue chemotherapy.
It is the latest in a string of health troubles for the aging star, whose public appearances have grown increasingly rare.
Edson Arantes do Nascimento — Pele’s real name — is the only player in history to win three World Cups (1958, 1962 and 1970).
Also Read : BRAZILIAN LEGEND PELE RELEASED A BOOK ABOUT HIS CAREER
Pele retired from football in 1977 after having one of the most storied careers in sport, scoring more than 1,000 goals.