Despite Morocco’s elimination from the Africa Cup of Nations, Walid Regragui will remain the country’s coach, the national football organisation announced in a statement on Monday.
After Regragui guided Morocco to the semifinals of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar—a first for any African country—hopes were high for the Ivory Coast-based country.
The federation stated in the statement that the Atlas Lions’ 2-0 loss to South Africa in the round of 16 “caused disappointment” despite them topping their group with two victories and a draw.
“I failed. It’s my failure, not the players,” said Regragui who had previously said he would step down if Moroccan did not at least reach the quarterfinals.
The Moroccan federation stated that it wished to “mobilise all means to ensure full success for the national team” ahead of the 2025 Afcon and 2030 World Cup, which are both scheduled to take place in the North African nation, although the 48-year-old head coach will stay in his position.
Regragui’s Afcon experience was further tarnished when the Confederation of African Football (CAF) punished him following a confrontation with Congolese defender Chancel Mbemba at the conclusion of a group encounter.
However, the Moroccan federation eventually overturned the decision.