Liverpool Klopp Says Liverpool Were Denied Penalty Against Man City

After Liverpool and Manchester City drew 1-1, Jurgen Klopp was certain his team should have been awarded a second penalty.

John Stones gave City the lead after he converted a well-worked corner by Kevin De Bruyne in the first half, but Alexis Mac Allister’s penalty kick, awarded after Ederson had chopped down Darwin Nunez, gave the Reds a point after fifty minutes.

Only after VAR evaluated a second home penalty appeal in the last seconds of an exciting match did the scoreless match end in a draw. It seemed as though Jeremy Doku’s swinging clearance had struck Alexis Mac Allister in the chest.

Read Also:Liverpool and Man City draw as Arsenal keep top spot

The officials decided not to pursue any additional measures, despite Klopp’s conviction that the high foot ought to have been dealt with.

He said: “It was 100% penalty. They will find an explanation. It was 100% foul in all areas of the pitch and probably a yellow card.

“All the people with iPads around me were saying, ‘Wow, clear’. Maybe they can hide behind the phrase it is not clear and obvious.

“It is of course a penalty but we didn’t get it and that is fine.”

Due to a goal differential advantage over Liverpool, Arsenal defeated Brentford 2-1 on Saturday to maintain their top spot in the Premier League. City is only one point behind in third place.

Despite this, Klopp is optimistic and applauded his team’s perseverance in fighting back from a goal down.

He said: “Sensational. First 10 minutes we were in a bit of a rush and Manchester City were directly there.

“The second half was the best we ever played against City, definitely. They hit the post of course, but we should have scored two or three goals. Exceptional football game.

“For me, we proved today the first time 100% we are exactly where we should be. We will fight for it and see what we can get.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *