CAF Champions League Jwaneng Galaxy breaks Orlando Pirates hearts to advance

A dramatic penalty shootout led to Orlando Pirates’ exit in the CAF Champions League after they had fought back to level their second preliminary round tie against Botswana’s Jwaneng Galaxy with a 1-0 win at Orlando Stadium on Friday night.

After conceding a 1-0 lead in the tie on their trip to Gaborone, the Soweto Giants were on a mission to avoid an early exit with a spot in the group stage of the competition up for grabs on the night. Pirates were unfortunate not to level matters on aggregate throughout the first 45 minutes where they dominated proceedings, setting up camp inside the opposition half.

It was, however, Pirates goalkeeper Sipho Chaine who had the first feel of the ball moments after the first whistle following a lapse of concentration from the back that led to a turnover of possession deep inside the Pirates half, with the shot-stopper forced off his line to prevent what would have been a disastrous start.

Read Also: Fathi’s spectacular hat-trick steers Pyramids FC vs APR

From then on, it was one-way traffic as Paseka Mako provided the Buccaneers’ first shot on target 10 minutes in when he cut in from the left side of the field before his effort was comfortably dealt with by Goitseone Phoko. His attempt was followed up by a more venomous effort from Zakhele Lepasa who popped up inside the box to turn Patrick Maswanganyi’s cross towards goal, but his header was hit straight at the shot-stopper.

Midway through the first half, midfielder Thabang Monare sparked a chance of his own with a shot from the edge of the box, but could not find a way past Phoko. Jwaneng had a rare opportunity in the 72nd minute through Wendell Rudath, who was able to create space to shoot from the left before dragging his shot wide.

However, Pirates were able to effortlessly wrestle momentum back into their favour for much of the remainder of the contest, maintaining their dominance with no goals forthcoming. The closest they came to closing out the tie was 23 minutes from the final whistle when Kermit Erasmus worked himself into space just outside the box before unleashing a shot that rattled the woodwork.

Makgopa and Hotto followed up with attempts of their own with neither finding the target and the final whistle eventually sounded, confirming that the tie would be decided via a penalty shootout. The Buccaneers took the first spot kick, with Hotto making no mistake as he calmly slotted home before Rubath effortlessly made it 1-1. More successful penalties followed from Sibisi and Xoki, while Thabang Sesinyi and Nqobizitha Masuku ensured that the visitors were level after three penalties apiece.

Pirates’ teenage midfielder was the fourth man to step up for the hosts, but his effort was kept out by Phoko. Maswanganyi then converted from the spot, but that was not enough to pull the Soweto Giants back into the contest as the visitors maintained a perfect conversion rate to book their spot among the final 16 teams remaining in the competition.

Dennis Mabuka

Dennis Mabuka is a seasoned Kenyan journalist with 18 years of experience covering sports events. He is currently a sport content creator with

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *